Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sabbatical, Day 15

Okay, parts of this sabbatical are zipping by (the days), and other parts are making me antsy (lack of communication). Last night I had a long dream in which I was teaching an adult ed/high school forum re: stereotypes and class distinctions. Mostly, I recall folks looking at me with puzzled faces.

It was an interesting experience to go to church today with my family at a nearby congregation. First, we started with the mob at Starbucks... wow... a reminder that there certainly is a place where people ritually gather on Sundays!

We parked at the church early, and a few pleasant folks warned us that it was chilly in the sanctuary, so we decided to walk around in the warm sunshine before going in. (Actually, the sanctuary was just comfortable for anyone wearing slacks, shirtsleeves and a tie... hmmm.)

I didn't notice too much in the narthex, other than an information desk (with someone sitting at it), and the greeters, unavoidably stationed/planted. After the sermon, I was observing worship from the narthex with a noisy 1-year-old in arms, and I recognized one of the ushers, and we chatted a bit about the educational theme of my current sabbatical: the use of natural symbols in church art and architecture. He pointed to a number of the things I would have missed, i.e. the recessed lights in the narthex were in groups of four, representing the four gospels... Umm... There were a number of similar, incredibly subtle things that you'd really need inside information to notice, especially since most of them disappeared "when the church remodelled" more than 10 years ago. I am glad that someone noticed such things... before or after they were planned, built, installed, or taken down.

I have been in this church before when they displayed members' photographs labeled "Where I See God." Again, the idea of bringing context--at the very least into the narthex/gathering hall--is a very good reminder of what we bring to worship, and where we experience God in the rest of the week. Most of the photos were natural scenes, of course. That fits the Northwest. I would have liked to have seen other, less expected, encounters with God.

In the sanctuary, I liked the very long and green (Sundays after Pentecost) banner titled, "I am the vine and you are the branches," even though the "vine" was more of a rose stem and flower... I'm fine with mixed metaphors. I didn't understand the smaller banner of a jolly-bearded angel holding an open Bible on a purple background.

All primary symbols were clear: Baptismal bowl, Altar and Communion, Cross, and the Pulpit (Word). The pulpit looked a little like an attractive wooden flower box, but the prominance was clear.

Actually, there were two altars. The one that they used, more forward, fit with the decor. I found out later that this altar, pulpit, lectern and prominant cross all skillfully and beautifully included wood from the extra pews during the remodel. The older marble altar (from the days before the remodel, I assume) stood even higher and further back against the liturgical east (north) wall. It was not used--too holy or too remote. The pastor/leader "thrones" were up against the back wall and remained empty. Being a pastor, I understand the feelings, politics, and pastoral issues of memorials and furnishings. Still, it's interesting to notice that the back third of the chancel was unused, untouched, and visibly darker than the rest. (Is that where God's Spirit sits, watching?)

Please, don't misunderstand. I applied a critical eye, but at the same time I found joy and truly worshiped God throughout my Sunday morning.

The glass baptismal bowl was beautiful and dominating (made by a Chihuly-apprentice). To me, it looks like a huge-wonderful water splash. The newer altar, pulpit, lectern, hanging and processional crosses were very attractive and unique.

The liturgy was "traditional" in its order and very approachable in language. There was some bouncing between the bulletin and hymnal that threw off the family sitting in front of us. The sermon was very strong. The gospel lesson was about the mission of the twelve, when Jesus pointed out that the "harvest is full, but the laborers few." The preacher immediately included all of us in our sense of brokenness and inadequacy to the task of evangelism. It took me a while to see the connection, but he certainly got us to the point of realizing that--it is not our "wholeness" and strengths that we lift to God--but our weakness and inadequacy. And these very points of brokenness are the plentiful "harvest" that is all around us. These very points of brokenness, inadequacty ...and healing are what "qualify" us for evangelism and outreach. Excellent message!

Overall, I suddenly realized that it has been a long time since I've walked into worship feeling this rested and open, and I walked out feeling like I had really worshiped my God; and I still had energy! We came home and--instead of needing a nap--I enjoyed watching my older son chase my wife through the sprinkler, while I grilled our hotdog lunch on the BBQ. What a beautiful experience... God has blessed me beyond deserving!

No comments: