Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sabbatical, Day 61

Isn't this a neat quote?

"The Savior comes in various forms to each person according to need. To those who lack joy, he becomes a vine; to those who wish to enter in, he is a door; for those who must offer prayers, he is a mediating high priest. To those in sin, he becomes a sheep, to be sacrificed on their behalf. He comes to be 'all things to all people' remaining in his own nature what he is. For so remaining, and possession the true and unchanging dignity of Sonship, of physicians and caring teachers, he adapts himself to our infirmities."
-300's AD, Cyril of Jerome, Catechetical Lec., 10.5.

In yesterday's morning worship, our worship leader asked to picture Christ as she read a number of his Biblical titles. Later, in painting class, we covered the canvas with dark paint. Then we lifted up parts of the paint with rags in such a way that the canvas would show through. The more you lifted, the brighter the "reflection." The goal was to create faces that appear to be coming in from the dark. In my mind I had the face of a kindly old shepherd, and was a little surprised to uncover a bit of my paternal grandfather, at least in the eyes.
(Once I get home, I hope to have a chance to scan some of the things I'm doing, and will post them... maybe. Not being an artist, I hesitate to put it out there...)

No comments: