Monday, September 26, 2011

Color Deficient

Really? After 43 years I'm only discovering this now?

We were with family in the children's museum of Great Falls, MT where they had a little display on color blindness, including some charts. The charts had a bunch of polka dots, and under each it read, "A color blind person is unable to see the number in the above chart." "What number?" I asked. "That's a 45," answered Mac. "Where?" Mac used the dots to trace a big invisible "45" for me. Seeing my doubt, my sister-in-law informed me, "Greg, you might be color blind."




Since then, I've learned that this is the Ishihara color test, named after Shinobu Ishihara who published his testing plates in the early 1900's. It's good for discovering whether one is color-blind or deficient, but it doesn't really give a good measure on the severity. I happen to be "mildly" color deficient. I recognize all the major colors, but there are a few wavelengths or hues of reds and greens that I have have trouble distinguishing (Deuteranomaly) a condition I share with about 6% of men.

I started oil painting a couple years ago, and I find it mildly annoying or humorous (can't decide) that I can't be sure if my subjects are turning out a bit sun-burned or under-ripe.

In life, this rings true; it is a reminder that--no matter how mature, confident and sure we are--there should always be a bit of curious humility in each of us. There are parts of the color spectrum that none of us can see without external help, and yet those colors are--in fact--there.

Ask people, "Well, how do you see it? What are your ideas and thoughts?" Listen, be curious, but you don't have to be timid. There should, actually, be a bit of freedom that comes from the fact that the world is not black-and-white. No one is above calculated risk and best guesses. Nor is it simply "relative." We can find points of general agreement. It means that we can 1) compare notes, and 2) act upon our best guess. We are 1) willing to reconsider, and 2) ready to forgive (others and ourselves).

In the end, there is a whole lot more to this universe and life than what any of us see or know, visible or not. We all have a lot to learn!