Friday, December 13, 2013

obeundum ineptus (completely inept) - or, Martin Luther's Sacristy Prayer

My church's newsletter editor showed me this prayer, and we used it for the cover of the service order for my recent installment as pastor in a new congregation. There have been times that I've prayed like this in the sacristy ...or in my office ...or walking up the aisle to lead a service. My internal prayers are often less reverent, i.e. "God, you put me in this #*@% situation; gimme a hand here!"

Luther said it much better (translation from the early 20th C):

Lord God, Thou hast made me a pastor and teacher in the Church. Thou seest how unfit I am to administer rightly this great and responsible office, and had I been without Thine aid and counsel I would surely have ruined it long ago.

Therefore I do invoke Thee, how gladly do I desire to yield and consecrate my heart and mouth to this ministry. I desire to teach the congregation. I further desire ever to learn and keep Thy Word my constant companion and to meditate thereupon earnestly.

Use me as Thine instrument in Thy service. Only do not forsake me, for if I am left to myself, I will certainly bring it all to destruction. Amen.

----.----

An older version puts it in Latin - Here and there, it's even better:

Domini Deus, tu constituisti me in Ecclesia Episcoporum, Pastorem, vides, quam sim ad tantum et tam difficile munus obeundum ineptus, et si absque tuo auxilio fuissem, iamdudum evertissem omnia. 

Ideo te invoco. Ego quidem os et cor applicare volo, docebo populum, discam ipse et meditabor diligenter in verbo tuo,

Tu me instrumento tuo utere: tantum ne dereliquas me: So enim solis fuero, facile perdidero omnia.