Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sabbatical, Day 1

Last night I dreamt that the construction project at church ran into serious trouble. I could tell by the look on the sight manager’s face that it was going to cost much time and money. I woke, relieved that it was a dream. Everyone was saying to me these last couple of weeks, “You don’t need to worry…” but of course I will! Part of caring and loving includes worrying about things that can happen. Not that I’d come running in to the office, or “make some calls.” There will be ups and downs, and I trust everyone—staff and volunteers—to handle them well, and sometimes better, than if I were there.

In my first call, one of the best things for my early pastorate was the death of a key leader in our church and town. Our senior pastor was out of state. He called the widow with his regrets, but let them know that they were in the care of their young inexperienced associate pastor. I knew that they were disappointed: they told me, …and I completely understood. I would have felt the same. In the end, most of the folks seemed comforted and moved. And after that, there was more trust (and expectations).

Regardless of anxieties, I trust the perspectives and intentions of the associate pastor, staff and leaders while I am on sabbatical. “The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; I have a goodly heritage” (Psalms 16:6).

I will admit watching the clock this morning and thinking, “They’re confessing their sins. …Now, the message is done and they are taking communion. The affirmands are getting their pictures taken now,… etc.”

Tomorrow, I will head to Long Beach, WA. I will have a couple days to myself, then Pauline and the boys will join me.

The theme of this sabbatical (engaging the senses) comes from Psalm 34:8, “O taste and see that the Lord is good.” My goals include healthy, sustainable patterns of rest, diet and exercise, as well as an emphasis of art, (sketching, painting, writing). Up until a few years ago, I used these to focus and meditate. I have neglected these with a resultant feeling of being scattered. The “study” portion of the next few months and trips gives me something on which to focus: the use of nature symbols in church art and architecture.

No comments: