Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sabbatical, Day 4

This morning as I jogged along the beach, I saw someone with a bright hat kneeling or stooped over a tide pool. As I got closer, I realized it was actually an adult bald eagle, probably feasting on some of the beach yummies left by the low tide. Never saw one standing like that on the beach before. I tried to give it wide berth, but it flew back into the dunes where it landed on a long bare tree stump...next to its mate. About a half-mile up, I disturbed a large hawk. Sorry to bother these raptors, but it was cool to see them. Until this afternoon, there have been almost no people around, and the wildlife has made itself more visible than usual.

(I forgot to mention the doe and fawn that crossed about 25 feet in front of me two evenings ago as I walked back through the dunes from watching the sunset. We had a staring contest. They won.)

Today, after Pauline and the boys joined me, the sun finally came out. Mac and I enjoyed the swimming pool, then all of us, including Katy the dog, played on the beach for awhile. Trevan likes crawling around on the sand, and loves the feel of the wind--makes him snort and giggle. Mac was also delighted to see that there is a playground just off our back stoop.

No comments: