Monday, December 6, 2010

Repentance & Kingdom Interruptions

Sermon prepared for Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma WA; Chapel Service
Monday, December 6, 2010

Text: Mark 1:1-4

Repentance and Kingdom Interruptions

Mark used the prophet Isaiah’s words, and pointed them almost 600 years later to John the Baptizer: A voice cries out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, straighten his paths!’ Or, as we’ll hear in a few minutes from the brass, ‘Prepare the royal highway, a level road appear!’ Mark passed on all the nativity, and took us right to the wild and wooly John, coming out of the wilderness. He came preaching a baptism of repentance.

Repent. We sometimes think of repentance as this thing we do where we come to worship and we pause for about 5.3 seconds, then admit that we’ve sinned thought word and deed. Then having briefly admitted our sinfulness, we’re told that we’re entirely forgiven. Or, for a more intense experience, you could go to someone and admit specifically what you’ve done, what’s burdening you, for what you need forgiveness.

But no. repent means—not just to re-tell your sins—but to turn aside for a moment, from the path you are on and re-think your life in light of a new situation and message. Or, in our case, in light of your relationship with Jesus, re-consider what you’ve been doing. Is it life-giving, or life-draining, for you or for others? In light of Jesus, who does, in fact, forgive you all your sins, and who also calls you to walk a new path with him, how does your life reflect?

Make way for the Lord, a pathway, in your life.

Paul wrote to the Romans, 13:12, to get ready for the advent of Christ, "The night is far gone; day is near: ...put on the armor of light." Your Kingdom come, we pray, and our Advent prayer is to let it come in and through us. Let people feel God's love and passion adventuring through us. We are called to be examples of new paths, a new way of living.

A couple of weeks ago I was reminded of this. I went to work, to my church in Auburn. I was tired, grumpy, but knew I had a lot to get done in the office. A private school meets in our building, and as I approached the doors to our church, I could hear children. Now, normally I like kids. We have two little boys of our own… which is why I sometimes don’t like little kids so much. And that day, I heard those kids and paused, “Should I walk through, or go around these noisy kids?” I decided to just duck my head and walk quickly through to my office.

"Pastor Greg!" One little boy called out and ran over to wrap himself around my leg. "Look guys, it's Pastor Greg!" Then, after I peeled that boy off, a staff member of school greeted me with a simple smile, “Good morning, Pastor Greg.”

They brought Kingdom, even tho' I didn't deserve it, was even avoiding, and potentially working against it. But instead, through them God allowed his welcome, grace and love to flow into me. I was reminded of what Jesus said about God's Kingdom: "Whenever you accept a child like this," Jesus said, "you accept me." "Whenever you welcome one of my servants, you've welcomed me." Being prepared for the coming Kingdom isn’t so much about behaving 24 hours a day and keeping your nose clean, as it is being open and allowing his Kingdom to come to interrupt you and work through you.

The rest of that day was full of interruptions, some as good and delightful, others more difficult or sad. It’s life. Does my work suffer for it? I'm behind in many things, I have plenty to schedule and do... Many of you can relate! And I suppose if it's all about a weekly quiz or score, or presentation, or papers to grade, syllabi to finish or books to order, what we produce may suffer to some degree when we allow these kingdom moments to interrupt our plans.

Now, don’t think that I’m giving you—or that God is giving you—an excuse to sluff off or procrastinate, especially this late in the semester. But keep it in perspective. Take the stress off of the urgent thing, even off the grade, and rethink it in light of what is truly important and significant: your relationship with Christ, your call to be Christ for others. Don’t let these relationships suffer for the sake of projects, grades or success. Love kindness. Love the kindness God has shown to you, so much, and allow his loving-kindness to show through you.

It's not, in the end, about the grades, achievements or products themselves. It’s about the journey, our advent through life with Christ. It is about being open and ready to listen and care. It is about all of the people and the creation that these projects, classes, and tests are meant, finally, to serve. It is about being able and willing to take sudden course changes when necessary… and you will.

He will work through it all. Along this great venture, I pray that he is making me and all of us into people for his Kingdom to pour through.

Will you pray with me?...[ad lib prayer]