Sunday, January 30, 2011

A time to work and a time to play.

A little quote I read this evening: "Balance of work and play: The harder you work, the more important it is that you play." The author went on to say that when we allow this or other imbalances "forward progress will forever be met with resistance in the form of injury, fatigue, disappointment, or plain old difficulty."

On first read, it can sound like an excuse to take it easy or relax. But by play we're probably not talking about the couch potato stare into the TV or computer monitor. "Play" is about engaging in some kind of enjoyable fun, often with a friend, a child or spouse.

I notice that when I've been going long on work, my stress goes up and people-energy gets so low, and I feel myself becoming more serious. A heaviness settles about my head, shoulders and chest. I still feel driven, but scattered without clear focus. And when I get home, unless there's pressing chores or responsibilities, I'm so tempted to plop down for channel- or web-surfing. But, you know? When I really pay attention to the results, I don't often end up feeling the least bit refreshed. In fact, depending on what I've just watched, read or seen, I can be even worse or lower than when I started!

I came home from church today after leading services, followed by our annual meeting. Even as we were getting out of the car, Mac, our six-year-old, pipes up, "Dad, how about a game of Battleship?" Well, shucks, after being "on" all morning and through noon, I was looking forward to my Sunday afternoon nap in front of the TV. But I resisted, and I came away from that game more relaxed and happy. Eventually we did watch a little "Spongebob Squarepants" together and fell asleep, but it was a much more pleasant restful little nap, because a little balance had been restored, at least for me.

Thank God for the little and great prophets who confront, challenge or redirect us!