Sunday, September 15, 2013

Personal Mission for Ministry

I suspect that there is a file--somewhere in the back or at the bottom of a drawer--labeled "Approval Papers." In those papers, along with an essay, I described my sense of call to the "Ministry of Word and Sacrament." Then, and several times since, I have been asked to describe that sense in a brief paragraph or sentence. For grounding and inspiration, I always turn back to Paul's letter of encouragement to Timothy, especially 2 Timothy 3:14 - 4:5.

Over a decade ago, I printed and self-laminated that passage (with layers of scotch-tape), and stuck it in my wallet to keep myself reminded,  and take to heart those words once again. In these words Paul gives me strength and courage because he reminds me of both my gifts and how I can put them to use in this ministry. "Before God and before Christ Jesus who is to be judge of the living and the dead, I charge you, in the name of his appearing and of his kingdom: proclaim the message and, welcome or unwelcome, insist on it. Refute falsehood, correct error, give encouragement, but do all with patience and with care to instruct" (2 Tim. 4:1-2).

I am not especially good at church business, I'm even less organized than I once was, and I'm not as insightful as I used to think I was as new pastor. I can get distracted by my own or others perceived expectations of me. When that happens, my ministry, my passion for it, and the results all start to slide. It takes a lot of energy and time to do things that you aren't good at, and the results are not usually very impressive.

On the other hand, I have been given gifts and skills in teaching and preaching the message, and I have an ear and heart for encouraging people in their struggles with life and faith. When I stay firm and focus on these strengths, many of the other tasks slide in place, it leaves room for others who have different strengths and passions to pick up the pieces! With that in mind, this mission statement puts together what I am gifted and able to do, and the results that occur when I focus and use my strengths and passion as best as I am able.

My ministry mission...
Through Word and Sacrament, I will proclaim, encourage, and patiently teach the Gospel (the full story of God's creation and salvation through Christ Jesus) so that--with others--we will build a diverse and welcoming community that is held together by its focus on God's grace and forgiveness, and by its faith in God through Christ.